- Private Pilot Course
- Groundschool (normally held September to April)
- Familiarization flight
- Flight lessons before solo
- Requirements before First Solo Flight:
- PSTAR exam (90% corrected to 100%)
- Further flight lessons and solo flights in preparation for Flight Test
- Requirements to write Private Pilot Written Test (PPAER): see CARS 421.13 . References are TP12880E or TP12880F.
- Study the sample exam. Find references for every question. Civil Aviation Sample Exam, TP13014E, Aviation Civile – Spécimen d’examen, TP13014F
- For practice exams online, see pilotsense.com, among others.
- 10 hours of flight time
- Recommendation from Flight Instructor (within 60 days)
- Photo and signature ID
- Requirements for Private Pilot Flight Test are (CARS 421.14). Highlights below:
- Recommendation from Flight Instructor (within 30 days)
- 35 Hours Flight Time
- Standards for Private Pilot Flight Test are in TP13723E Flight Test Guide PPL and Guide de Test en Vol TP13723F.
- Flight requirements for Private Pilot Licence are (CARS: 421.26). Highlights below:
- Age 17
- Medical Class 1 or 3
- 40 hours ground school instruction
- 60% on Private Pilot Written Test (PPAER)
- 45 Hours flight time, including
- (i) 17 hours dual instruction flight time, including a minimum of 3 hours cross-country flight time and 5 hours of instrument time of which a maximum of 3 hours may be instrument ground time; and
- (ii) 12 hours solo flight time, including 5 hours cross-country flight time with a flight of a minimum of 150 nautical miles which shall include 2 full stop landings at points other than the point of departure.
Books and Materials
The following checklist will help you locate study material and books etc. that you might want to buy. These items are available at VIP Pilot. They are located on the South Shore, and they will deliver to your home if you order on-line.
- Flight Training Manual (FTM)/ Manuel de Pilotage – Avion
- Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM)/ Manuel d’Information Aéronautique
- Pilot Logbook (the club will supply a Pilot Training Record (PTR))
- Charts: Montreal VTA and Montreal VNC
- E6-B Computer
Extra Books for Ground School Study
One more thing from a different source, if you want:
- Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) for your airplane. C-FIQX is a 1974 C-172M. Having your own POH is optional . They are available at ESSCO Factory Manuals.
PDFs to download to iPad iBooks
Essential Bookmark: Canadian Air Regulations
Bookmarks for Weather and Aviation Weather
Here is a list of sites I consult every day, in order:
- Mixed Surface Analysis
- Local Weather (Montreal)
- AWWS (Canadian Aviation Weather)
- ADDS (USA Aviation Weather)
I recommend you open an account and make a template for C-FIQX: