Today we will plan two flights: (we will use them next week as well, in IFR Clearances)
- CHYU to CYND
- CYHU to CYQB
What do you need to fly an IFR Flight?
- A route
- A way to fly (navigate) the route
How do I choose a route?
- Is there a preferred route? How do I find out? CFS? Other?
- Is that route appropriate for single-engine flight?
- Are there restricted areas or Military Operations Areas (MOA) that I have to avoid?
- Is the route in a mountainous area? If so, how does that affect the MEA?
- Is the route over water? If so, what regulations apply? How do I handle being over water in a single-engine airplane?
- This is Canada. Do I have a choice about flying over unpopulated areas? What regulations apply?
How will I File the Flight Plan?
- How will I find the pertinent NOTAMs? CFPS? Other?
- Did I file a preferred route? Is it mandatory to do so?
- How will I keep a record of the route I have filed? Why do I need to?
What Information do I need to fly this route?
- Waypoints and airways, or all waypoints?
- What altitudes do I have to know? Where do I find them?
- What do I have to know about airports? Approaches? SIDs? STARs?
- Exact record of filed route? Why?
- Have you flown this route before? Did you keep a record of how you were cleared before?