- Does automation reduce workload? Or spread it more evenly?
- Who is the Otto in autopilot?
- Why is a two-pilot airplane a three-pilot airplane?
- How do you know what Fifi or Otto are thinking?
Flight Mode Annunciator(s) (FMA)
- Tells you what Fifi or Otto are thinking, but silently
- It is the human pilot’s responsibility to verbalize the FMA so all pilots are on the same page
Fight Director(s) (FD)
- Always in same mode as the autopilot
- Shows you what attitude the autopilot would fly if it were engaged
- Levels of Operations
- Control Wheel Steering (CWS)
- Heading/VerticalSpeed (HDG/VS) or Track/Flight Path Angle (TRK/FPA)
Flight Management and Guidance Computer(s)