- Closed loop
- Feedback for every control input
- Where to look – where must the eyes be?
- Works for all airplanes
- Pilot not fooled by (pitch or roll axis) moment
Flying by the Numbers
- Know Attitude, Airspeed and Power for each phase of flight
- Pilot always aware of equilibrium vs. Transition
- Pilot aware if she is trimming for present or future state
- Pilots call this staying ahead of the airplane
- Available with GPS or IRS
- Fly approach or airway with zero detectable lateral displacement
- You’ll never fly heading again unless it’s for ATC
Navigation: GPS vs IRS
- They work backward from each other. What?
- GPS uses satellites to calculate position in 3D once per second
- IRS is like your middle ear: it uses 6 accelerometers (linear and rotational in each axis) to calculate new position (and attitude) from previous position (and attitude).
- Newton, the Laws of Motion, and the Calculus
- What is the Flight Path Vector (FPV)?